Heritage Virtual Open Day

Winterton All Saints' Church 19th September 2020

Walks and Trails in Winterton and North Lincolnshire

A series of Links to the Story Maps website for digital trails
 

A series of Links to the Story Maps website for digital rails
 

Ancholme Valley Trail Exploring the landscape in northern Lincolnshire

Exploring the landscape in North Lincolnshire along a 15-mile trail from the limestone across the valley floor to the chalk and back

Click here to follow link to the Ancholme Valley Trail

A Walk Around Winterton Parish

A trail which shows some of the heritage of this historic parish

Click here to visit the Winterton Parish Walk

A series of Links to the Story Maps website for digital rails
 

The Winterton Town Trail

A walk to explore the heritage of Winterton North Lincolnshire

Robin Shawyer | September 7, 2020

Click here to follow the Winterton Town Trail

53 West Street is a Grade 2 Listed, late C18-early C19 building with earlier origins. William Fowler (1761-1832) modified cottages already on the site. He was an architect, builder and engraver, and is chiefly famous for his architectural engravings. He received widespread patronage from scholars, gentry and royalty. The Chains remained the Fowler family home until the mid-C20. The heritage displays in All Saints give details about William, his son Joseph, an architect, and grandson Joseph Thomas, an academic and antiquarian.
 

The Lincolnshire Towers

An architectural trail through Northern Lincolnshire

Robin Shawyer | August 28, 2020

Click here to follow the Lincolnshire Towers

Blyton, St Martin

Only the lowest 3-5m of the present tower is original with the blocked west doorway and the arch into the nave. The nave is wider than those adjoining other Lincolnshire Towers and is probably early C12. Although not constructed during the main period of tower building, at the end of the C11, it nevertheless follows the tradition which had become established. The rest of the tower is late C14 or C15.

A Guide to All Saints’ Church, Winterton

The features of a church building explained

Robin Shawyer | August 28, 2020

Click here a guide to All Saints Church

This drawing shows the West Tower with four parts each bounded by lines of stone known as String Courses. The first, large lower part includes the ground floor and above it the original ringing chamber. Above that the second section has Romanesque Belfry Openings [1]. Behind these lower double-arched openings [now bricked up] were the bells set up when the tower was built around 1090. The round Sound Holes [2] are just above the Romanesque Belfry Openings [1] and also had a set of bells behind them. It is unusual to have two sets of bells in a church and we have no clear idea why this was done.